February 16, 2022 1:02 p.m.
CLEVELAND – NBA All-Star 2022 will reach fans in 215 countries and territories in a record 60 languages on their televisions, computers, mobile phones and tablets, culminating with the 71st NBA All-Star Game when Team Durant faces Team LeBron on Sunday, Feb. 20 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland. TNT and ESPN Radio will air the NBA All-Star Game live in the United States at 8 p.m. ET.
Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse will also host Clorox Rising Stars on Friday, Feb. 18 and State Farm® All-Star Saturday Night (which features the AT&T Slam Dunk, MTN DEW® 3-Point Contest and Taco Bell® Skills Challenge) on Saturday, Feb. 19. The Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game on Feb. 18, the NBA All-Star Practice presented by AT&T and the NBA HBCU Classic presented by AT&T on Feb. 19, and the NBA G League Next Gem Game on Feb. 20 will take place at the Wolstein Center.
Below are some numbers and tidbits pertaining to NBA All-Star 2022.
NBA All-Star Game
- 4 – A record four former NBA G League players are NBA All-Stars this season: Rudy Gobert (Utah Jazz), Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks), Dejounte Murray (San Antonio Spurs) and Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors).
- 6 – Six members of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team are on All-Star rosters: Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks), Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors), Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets), James Harden (Philadelphia 76ers), LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers) and Chris Paul (Phoenix Suns).
- 8/24 – The Kobe Bryant Trophy, which will be awarded to the Kia NBA All-Star MVP, features an eight-sided base representing the eight decades of All-Star Games and is a nod to Bryant’s No. 8 jersey number. The 24 stars on the first level represent the All-Stars in the game and Bryant’s No. 24 jersey number. The trophy headlines the lineup of reimaginedNBA All-Star hardware, designed in partnership with artist Victor Solomon, that will be presented during NBA All-Star 2022.
- 16 – Giannis Antetokounmpo made all 16 of his field goal attempts as the Kia NBA All-Star MVP of the 2021 All-Star Game, setting the record for most field goals without a miss in the All-Star Game.
- 18 – LeBron James is set to play in his 18th All-Star Game, which will tie Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the NBA record, and make his record 18th All-Star Game start (every season since 2004-05).
- 20 – At 20 years old, LaMelo Ball (Charlotte Hornets) is set to become the fourth-youngest player to play in the All-Star Game.
- 22 – This year’s NBA All-Star rings, which are awarded to players in recognition of their selection to the game, feature 22 stars and diamonds in reference to NBA All-Star 2022.
- 24 – The winner of the All-Star Game will be the first team to reach (or surpass) the Final Target Score, which will be the leading team’s total score after the first three quarters plus 24points. For example, if the leading team has 100 points after the first three quarters, the Final Target Score will be 124 (100 + 24).
- 128 – Chris Paul has the most assists in All-Star Game history with 128 (which is one more than Magic Johnson).
- 750,000 – A total of $750,000 will be awarded to two beneficiaries through the All-Star Game, with Team Durant playing for the Greater Cleveland Food Bank and Team LeBron playing for the Kent State I Promise Scholars Program.
NBA All-Star History in Cleveland
- 1 – Michael Jordan recorded the first triple-double in NBA All-Star Game history when he finished with 14 points, 11 rebounds and 11 assists in the 1997 All-Star Game in Cleveland.
- 9 – Nate “Tiny” Archibald had nine points and nine assists as the MVP of the 1981 All-Star Game in Richfield, Ohio.
- 18 – Kobe Bryant was 18 years old when he won the Slam Dunk contest at NBA All-Star 1997.
- 20 – Glen Rice of the Charlotte Hornets scored 20 points in the third quarter to lead the Eastern Conference to a 132-120 victory over the Western Conference in the 1997 All-Star Game, now tied for the most points scored by a player in a quarter in All-Star Game history.
- 35/50/75 – The Cleveland area has hosted NBA All-Star when the league celebrated its 35thseason (1981), 50th anniversary (1997) and 75th anniversary (2022), marking its three times as All-Star host.
- 50 – The 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, as announced in 1996, were honored at halftime of the 1997 All-Star Game. Each of those players was recently named to the NBA 75th Anniversary Team, a group of 76 players who will be honored at the 2022 All-Star Game.
Clorox Rising Stars
- 4 – Under a new format for Clorox Rising Stars, four teams of seven players will compete in a mini-tournament consisting of three games.
- 6 – Six elite young players from NBA G League Ignite will compete across the Clorox Rising Stars and Clorox Clutch Challenge shooting competition on Feb. 18: MarJon Beauchamp, Dyson Daniels, Michael Foster Jr., Jaden Hardy, Scoot Henderson and Fanbo Zeng.
- 36 – Rising Stars honorary coaches and NBA 75th Anniversary Team selections Rick Barry (8), Gary Payton (9), Isiah Thomas (12) and James Worthy (7) combined for 36 NBA All-Star selections.
AT&T Slam Dunk
- 1 – A first-time champion will be crowned in AT&T Slam Dunk. Cole Anthony (Orlando Magic), Jalen Green (Houston Rockets) and Juan Toscano-Anderson (Golden State Warriors) are set to make their event debuts, and Obi Toppin (New York Knicks) returns for his second appearance after finishing as the runner-up last year.
- 30 – In addition to the live presentation of AT&T Slam Dunk by TNT and ESPN Radio on Feb. 19, Cartoon Network will air a special 30-minute, superpowered Teen Titans Go! edition of the contest on Feb. 20 at 5 p.m. ET.
MTN DEW® 3-Point Contest
- 4 – Four 2022 NBA All-Stars are part of the field for the MTN DEW® 3-Point Contest: Zach LaVine (Chicago Bulls), Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota Timberwolves), Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors) and Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks).
- 6 – The two-round, timed shooting competition will feature the THE DEW ZONE,™ which is located 6 feet behind the 3-point line, where the participants will attempt two shots – with a special green ball – that are worth three points each.
Taco Bell® Skills Challenge
- 3 – Three teams of three players will compete in a new format for the Taco Bell® Skills Challenge, with the teams composed of three Antetokounmpo brothers (Giannis and Thanasis of the Milwaukee Bucks and Alex of Raptors 905), three Cleveland Cavaliers players (Jarrett Allen, Darius Garland and Evan Mobley) and three NBA rookies (Scottie Barnes of the Toronto Raptors, Cade Cunningham of the Detroit Pistons and Josh Giddey of the Oklahoma City Thunder).
- 4 – The competition will consist of four rounds and test shooting, passing and dribbling ability, culminating with the top two teams from the first three rounds competing in the fourth and final round, where the winning team will be the one that makes a half-court shot in the fastest time.
NBA All-Star Around the World
- 2 – With their participation in Clorox Rising Stars, Josh Giddey (Oklahoma City Thunder; Australia) and Dyson Daniels (NBA G League Ignite; Australia), who were teammates at NBA Global Academy in Canberra, Australia, from 2019-2020, will become the first twoNBA Academy alumni to participate in NBA All-Star.
- 4 – There are a record-tying four international All-Star Game starters: Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks; Greece; ties to Nigeria), Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers; Cameroon), Nikola Jokić (Denver Nuggets; Serbia) and Andrew Wiggins (Golden State Warriors; Canada). Two other international players were selected as All-Star reserves: Luka Dončić (Dallas Mavericks; Slovenia) and Rudy Gobert (Utah Jazz; France).
- 6 – Six international television and radio networks – from France, Greece, Latin America, Mongolia, Poland and Spain – will conduct live onsite commentary at NBA All-Star 2022. Three television networks – from India, Netherlands and Norway – will broadcast NBA All-Star remotely for the first time.
- 15/12 – Fifteen international players from 12 countries will participate in NBA All-Star 2022 events.
Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game
- 4 – The Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game will tip off with the Ruffles Ridges 4-point Shooting Competition. Ruffles and the NBA will donate $4,000 to support the Thurgood Marshall College Fund for every shot made from behind the line, with a minimum of $40,000.
- 21 – The Celebrity Game rosters feature 21 participants, including Cleveland Mayor Justin Bibb and seven recording artists in Anuel AA, Jimmie Allen, Kane Brown, Jack Harlow, Machine Gun Kelly, Quavo and Anjali Ranadive.
NBA G League Next Gem Game
- 1 – The next generation of talent will be highlighted in the first NBA G League Next Gem Game, a matchup between NBA G League Ignite and the Cleveland Charge on Sunday, Feb. 20 at 2 p.m. ET on NBA TV.
- 14 – Volunteers across the NBA family will participate in the 14th Annual NBA Cares All-Star Day of Service presented by Nike, SAP and State Farm on Feb. 18, sorting and packing food donations at the Greater Cleveland Food Bank and gently used books with the Kids’ Book Bank Cleveland to support thousands of children, seniors, families and other individuals in need.
- 2,000 – The NBA will dedicate its 2,000th Live, Learn or Play center, at the Cudell Recreation Center in Cleveland, as part of the NBA 75th Live, Learn or Play Initiative in partnership with Kaiser Permanente.
- 110,000 – The NBA will support vaccination and testing efforts in Cleveland through 11 vaccination clinics, in addition to donating 10,000 rapid antigen tests and 110,000 face masks to the city’s COVID-19 Taskforce.
- 3,000,000 – As part of NBA All-Star 2022, the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association will provide more than $3 million in programming and support to the Greater Cleveland and HBCU communities.
- 1 – Howard University and Morgan State University will meet in the first NBA HBCU Classic presented by AT&T on Feb. 19 at 2 p.m. ET, which will be simulcast on TNT, ESPN2 and NBA TV. As part of the NBA’s and AT&T’s ongoing commitments to HBCUs, they will donate $100,000 to each school.
- 2 – The NBA and MTN DEW will selected two HBCU students to receive up to $50,000 scholarships from Howard University and Morgan State University.
- 11 – Eleven HBCU college students will participate in an NBA All-Star Event Shadow program.
- 500,000 – In continued support of HBCU students, institutions and programs, the NBA and NBA Foundation will make grants of $250,000 each, totaling $500,000, to the Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and UNCF (United Negro College Fund).
NBA All-Star on TNT
- 5 – Five Turner Sports analysts were named to the NBA 75th Anniversary Team: Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, Shaquille O’Neal, Isiah Thomas and Dwyane Wade.
- 20 – TNT will present the NBA All-Star Game for the 20th straight year.
NBA All-Star on ESPN
· 26 – ESPN Radio will broadcast its 26th All-Star Game, with play-by-play voice Marc Kestecher, analyst P.J. Carlesimo and reporters Ros Gold-Onwude and Monica McNutt on the call.
· 31 – Analysts Kendrick Perkins and Richard Jefferson, who will call the Ruffles NBA All-Star Celebrity Game with host Cassidy Hubbarth and reporter Monica McNutt, combined to play 31 seasons in the NBA.
A star is born: NU Lady Bulldog Belen makes history as UAAP’s 1st Rookie of Year/MVP
June 21, 2022 6:34 p.m.
Mhicaela Belen was hailed as the UAAP Season 84 women’s volleyball tournament Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player – making her the first-ever in the league’s long history.
National University’s Belen was just everywhere, leading the league in the service department at 0.47 per set, while also placing second in spiking with a 38.96 success rate, and third in scoring with 203 points in the elimination round.
With her outstanding all-around offensive prowess, she also bagged the 1st Best Outside Hitter as well.
Her defense was top-notch as well, going sixth in reception at a 40.85 efficiency rate while being eighth in digs at 2.38 per set.
Belen also knotted Dzi Gervacio’s record in most service aces in a single match with eighth. She did it against University of the Philippines last June 4.
The undefeated Lady Bulldogs dominated the other individual awards as well with Camilla Lamina and Jen Nierva copping Best Setter and Best Libero plums. Alyssa Solomon won the Best Opposite Spiker award.
Lamina tallied 5.81 excellent sets per set, while Nierva registered a 55.96 receiving percentage and 4.4 digs per set. Solomon had 145 spikes on a 38.98 percent success rate.
De La Salle University’s Thea Gagate emerged as this year’s 1st Best Middle Blocker with 0.6 blocks per set and 30 total blocks, while Lady Bulldog Sheena Toring got the 2nd Best Middle Blocker with an average of 0.47 per set and 22 total blocks.
Ateneo de Manila University’s Faith Nisperos nabbed the 2nd Best Outside Hitter trophy to round out the awardees, delivering 228 total spikes on a 34.86 percent success rate.
All of the student-athletes in the All-UAAP team are products of Nazareth School-National University.
NBA to refurbish basketball court in Bulacan as part of league’s 75th anniversary celebration
June 17, 2022 8:10 p.m.
The National Basketball Association (NBA) today announced it will dedicate a new NBA Cares Live, Learn or Play center in the Philippines with a basketball court refurbishment at the Enchanted Farm village of Gawad Kalinga Community Development Foundation, Inc. (GK), a local non-profit organization that aims to alleviate poverty through affordable housing and community development programs, in Angat, Bulacan.
The project, which is part of the leaguewide NBA 75th Live, Learn or Play initiative to create and dedicate more than 50 new NBA Cares Live, Learn or Play Centers during the 2021-22 season, will begin this month and the refurbished court will be presented to the GK community in August with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and youth basketball clinic.
“The NBA’s mission is to inspire and connect people everywhere through the power of basketball and create a lasting impact in the communities where we operate,” said NBA Asia Managing Director Ramez Sheikh.
“The Philippines has been an integral part of the league’s 75-year history, and this initiative with Gawad Kalinga reinforces our commitment to bringing Filipinos together through their shared love of the game.”
NBA Cares is the league’s global social responsibility program that builds on the NBA’s mission of addressing important social issues in the U.S. and around the world. Internationally, NBA Cares has created more than 357 places where kids and families can live, learn, or play in 40 countries and territories.
In July 2017, the NBA revamped an indoor court in Santa Mesa, Manila which was part of a regional NBA Cares initiative that refurbished courts across Southeast Asia.
Newest Reveal in Pokémon series: Pokémon Scarlet, Pokémon Violet coming in November
June 4, 2022 7:02 p.m.
The Pokémon Company is pleased to announce the official release date of Nintendo Switch software titles Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet on Friday, November 18, 2022. The scheduled release will reveal a new cover art with the legendary Pokémon Koraidon and Miraidon!
Appearing in these new titles, the new legendary Pokémon Koraidon and Miraidon are on each cover. The title logos are embellished with foil stamp-like designs that include Legendary Pokémon motifs. The packages of these games look similar to old book covers that evoke anticipation that a new story lies before you that’s about to begin.
Legendary Pokémon Koraidon and Miraidon
Koraidon is a legendary Pokémon that you can meet in Pokémon Scarlet, while Miraidon is a legendary Pokémon you can meet in Pokémon Violet. These two Pokémon are said to have powers that far surpass those of other Pokémon, however, details about Koraidon and Miraidon are still shrouded in mystery.
The World of the Pokémon has Evolved
Pokémon is a game for all ages and Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet are the first open-world RPGs in the series. As you enjoy the hallmarks of the series—meeting, teaming up with, battling, training, and trading Pokémon—you’ll also be able to immerse yourself in a newly evolved adventure.
In an unbound adventure spread across an open world, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet offer you an open-world experience that only the Pokémon series can deliver—one that is welcoming even to newcomers to the series.
You can experience a new style of adventure in a world where you’re free to explore at your leisure, unhampered by following a story. You will, of course, have to embark on a journey to hone your skills as a Pokémon Trainer, but many more discoveries and stories await you. You will be able to meet a variety of people and Pokémon, and have new adventures in the world of Pokémon the way you want to.
For deeper experience with multiplayer gameplay, Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet allow multiplayer gameplay with up to four players. Along with series staples, such as trading and battling Pokémon, you will be able to explore the various locations of the region in these games with other players. You can discover new Pokémon and explore unfamiliar areas with your friends and family, opening the door to an adventure more precious and fun than ever!
New Pokémon and Characters to Meet
Three Pokémon from which you’ll choose your first partner have been revealed: Sprigatito, Fuecoco, and Quaxl. With their unique personalities and abilities in battle, imagine how your own adventures with them might unfold!
Sprigatito is capricious and attention-seeking. It may sulk if it sees its Trainer giving attention to a Pokémon other than itself.
A Kneading Move That Releases a Sweet Aroma
When Sprigatito kneads and rubs with its forepaws, a sweet aroma is released that can mesmerize those around it. This aroma has therapeutic qualities and makes opponents lose their will to battle.
Fur with a Similar Composition to Plants
The composition of its fluffy fur is similar to that of plants, letting it create energy by absorbing sunlight. It adds moisture to its fur by grooming itself, which aids its ability to photosynthesize.
Fuecoco is laid-back and does things at its own pace. It loves to eat, and it will sprint toward any food it finds with a glint in its eye.
Scales That Absorb Heat
External heat is absorbed by the square scales on Fuecoco’s stomach and back, then converted into fire energy. These scales are always warm, and at times they can also grow very hot.
Overflowing Fire Energy
Flickering atop Fuecoco’s head is fire energy that is leaking out from inside the Pokémon’s body. When Fuecoco gets excited, its head spouts more flames.
Quaxly is a serious-mannered Pokémon that will follow in its Trainer’s wake. It’s tidy, and it especially dislikes getting its head dirty.
A Glossy Gel Protects Its Body
Its body is always glossy because the gel secreted by its feathers repels water and grime. The coif on its head is slicked back using a rich, moist cream, and it becomes unkempt when dry.
It Uses Its Strong Legs to Swim Freely
It has strong legs and is able to swim without difficulty even in places with strong currents. In battle, it kicks its opponents swiftly and repeatedly.
Two different professors—their appearance depends on the version of the game
For the first time in the series, one of two different professors will appear in your game depending on the version you choose to play.
In Pokémon Scarlet, you will meet Professor Sada, and in Pokémon Violet, you will meet Professor Turo. Each is carrying out research into certain lore passed down in the region.
Nemona, a powerful Pokémon Trainer
Your friend and rival, Nemona, has a sunny and energetic disposition, and she absolutely loves Pokémon battles. She’s an experienced Pokémon Trainer and serves as a reliable guide for you on your adventures. She has undisputed skill in battle—though it does also seem that she’s not the best at throwing Poké Balls.
In Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet, Nemona uses three never-before-seen Pokémon waiting to meet you.
Pawmi has electricity-discharging organs on its forepaws. In addition to the electric sacs in its cheeks, Pawmi has electricity-discharging organs on its forepaws. It generates electricity by rubbing its cheeks, then it shocks its opponents by touching them with the pads on its forepaws.
Thick Fur That Stores Electricity
Not only is the fur that covers its body good insulation against the cold, but it also serves the purpose of storing electricity. When it feels uneasy, this cautious Pokémon will begin rubbing its cheeks, preparing itself to discharge an electric shock.
Lechonk is a gourmand with an excellent nose. It uses its sense of smell to find and eat only the most fragrant wild grass and the richest Berries. As a result of its dining habits, it has come to radiate an aroma resembling herbs that bug Pokémon dislike.
Timid and Fainthearted—but Also Strong
If attacked by an opponent and startled, it will charge forward in a panic. It may appear fat at first glance, but in reality, the Pokémon’s body is mostly muscle built by constantly walking around in search of food.
Smoliv has oil so bitter and astringent it will make you flinch. The oil that comes out of its head has a very strong bitter taste, and it is not suitable for consumption. When startled or attacked, Smoliv will shoot this oil out, slowing its opponent down. It will then seize that moment to run away.
Fine without Eating or Drinking
In the fruit on its head, Smoliv stores oil made from nutrients it gathers through photosynthesis. As a result, it can go for a week without eating or drinking. It prefers dry and sunny climates, and it seems to spend its days sunbathing.
A Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet Double Pack is set for Release
Moreover, a Double Pack that includes a Pokémon Scarlet game and a Pokémon Violet game will be released on the same day as the individual games.