Connect with us

NEWS

Nepomuceno buckles down to work at Office of Civil Defense

December 31, 2022 11:36 a.m.

ARIEL Francisco Nepomuceno welcomed the job given by President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. as the new Administrator III of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) under the Department of National Defense, saying that he’s up to the task.

Nepomuceno said he is happy for the trust and confidence given by the Marcos Administration on him after he formally took his oath at the Office of the Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin last Wednesday inside the Malacañang Palace.

“The environment at the Office of Civil Defense is a real working job and not easy, so I immediately went yesterday to the office to start working after my oath-taking,” Nepomuceno, the 57-year-old former member of the Philippine Military Academy Hinirang Class of 1987, said. “The task is national and challenging so we have to start working now.”

He formally took over the OCD on Thursday after the turnover ceremonies at the Department of National Defense central office in Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

The OCD is vital to the government’s all-out response during times of calamities like floods, typhoons, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, among other disasters, to save more lives through evacuations and relief operations.

The OCD, also under the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, is also the leading government agency in handling reactions and management during times of calamities. It is the agency that administers disaster risk reduction and implements a systematic program to lessen and avoid national disasters.

Nepomuceno is not new to the position of the OCD as this is a sort of ‘homecoming’ since he already served as a director and executive officer in the office during the time of former President Benigno Aquino 3rd from 2012 to 2013.

He replaced undersecretary Raymundo Ferrer, who served for four months as OCD administrator.

“It looks like I’m just fortunately promoted now because I was a deputy before in the OCD at the time of Pres. Aquino,” he added. “But as what I have said the nature of work in the OCD is very busy, you have to prepare for upcoming calamities and hold your ground during calamities to save the people.”

Nepomuceno awarded as the “Most Outstanding Graduate of the Social Science” of the University of the Philippines in 1989. He also served the Bureau of Customs as deputy commissioner during the time of former Presidents Aquino and Rodrigo Duterte from 2013 to 2017.

During his time at the Bureau of Customs, he and his team risked their lives for seizing billions of pesos worth of drugs and smuggled items.

He also ordered the return of the infamous Canada waste to its port of origin and was the first to use the Anti-Agricultural Smuggling Law.

He was a former Major Reserve in Air Force from 2006 to 2007, a Magna Cum Laude Graduate of the University of the Philippines and a holder of Executive MBA Degree from the Asian Institute of Management prior to his services to the government.

Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin (left) administers the oath-taking of Ariel Francisco Nepomuceno (center).

NEWS

Atayde backs PH Olympic fencer, QC fencing development program

4:11 p.m. May 21, 2024

QUEZON City 1st District Rep. Juan Carlos “Arjo” Atayde last week pledged to back QCSEP, a Quezon City fencing program responsible for producing one of the Filipino athletes going to the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

Atayde, a member of the Youth Sports Development Committee in the House of Representatives, said “fencing is one of the many sports that young Filipino athletes can excel in, and we are working with Councilor Joseph Juico so that we can help QCSEP better develop Filipino fencers who can compete not only in local tournaments, but also in international competitions.”

Atayde commended QCSEP for producing a Filipino fencer slated to represent the country in the 2024 Paris Olympics — 22-year-old Barangay Del Monte resident Samantha Kyle Catantan.  

Catantan qualified for the Paris Olympics after winning the gold in the women’s foil event at the Asia-Oceania Zonal Olympic Qualifier last July in the United Arab Emirates. She is the first Filipino fencer to qualify for the summer games since Walter Torres in 1988. 

“QCSEP deserves credit for developing world-class fencers like our very own Samantha Catantan,” said Atayde. “Her qualifying for the Olympics is proof that we should invest time and resources in fencing, which is why we plan to provide support for this sport in our district, and later on the entire Quezon City.”

Atayde stressed that support for sports programs is necessary “if we want to help Filipino athletes achieve their dreams of competing in the Olympics.”

Atayde met Juico, the young fencers of QCSEP, and their parents on May 17 at the legislator’s district office in West Avenue, Quezon City to discuss ways to help and to develop fencers not only from their district, but also cities from all over Metro Manila. 

“It’s great to know that there’s a grassroots sports program for fencing in Quezon City that develops and nurtures kids from all over Metro Manila. With enough helping hands, QCSEP can produce fencers who can excel in the sport and one day win a medal for our country in the Olympics,” said Atayde, who extended financial support for the team’s ongoing programs.

QCSEP Fencing is a program spearheaded by longtime QC 1st District Councilor Juico. It was established 18 years ago and is an active advocate of grassroots sports development.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Activision brings Call of Duty Warzone Mobile to the court with unique basketball collaboration

5:09 p.m. May 19, 2024

Activision has made an exciting move with its latest Call of Duty Warzone Mobile campaign, seamlessly integrating the world of basketball to create real connections within the community. By combining the strategic elements of basketball with the intense gameplay of Warzone Mobile, Activision highlights how teamwork and quick thinking dominate in both arenas.

In a creative collaboration with Jappy Agoncillo, a renowned muralist, illustrator, and devoted COD fan, Activision has transformed a basketball court at SV Ball Park in New Manila, Quezon City into a vibrant, Warzone-themed masterpiece. This unique project not only showcases Agoncillo’s artistic talent but also underscores the synergy between the worlds of basketball and gaming.

For a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the CODWZM Basketball Court Takeover, check out this video.

Filipinos’ passion for basketball is well-known, with the sport deeply ingrained in the nation’s culture. This collaboration taps into that love, creating a space where fans of both basketball and Call of Duty can come together. Watch how PBA Moto Club, Eruption, Jappy Agoncillo, and Honeycomb Arts brought this project to life in this special feature

Visit the Court:

  • Location: SV Ball Park, New Manila, Quezon City
  • Visiting Hours: Fridays through Sundays from 1 PM to 5 PM
  • Duration: May 16 to July 1, 2024

Basketball and Call of Duty Warzone enthusiasts are invited to experience this one-of-a-kind court, which will be open to the public during the above specified hours to ensure better accommodation and avoid overlapping with regular league games.

Visitors can enjoy the artwork, play basketball, and immerse themselves in the dynamic atmosphere that brings Warzone Mobile’s intensity to life.

Don’t miss out on this exciting blend of art, sports, and gaming. Swing by SV Ball Park and be part of

Continue Reading

NEWS

“Priceless” Nino Muhlach FAMAS trophy sold to Boss Toyo 

12:59 p.m. May 15, 2024

Entrepreneur and child actor Nino Muhlach gave Boss Toyo one of his prized awards from the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences (FAMAS) in exchange for P500,000.

But Boss Toyo reiterated that Muhlach’s award is “priceless” and will become part of his future museum. 

In an episode of Pinoy Pawnstars last Monday, Boss Toyo haggled with Muhlach, who personally visited the content creator’s shop in Quezon City to personally give one of his five FAMAS awards and make it as part of his collection.

“Aalagaan mo ‘yan, irerestore mo yan [Take care of that, restore it],” Muhlach told Boss Toyo. 

Boss Toyo said that he wants to restore the award, one of Muhlach’s five FAMAS awards to its former glory and showcase it in his planned museum alongside the award that Jiro Manio sold to Boss Toyo a few months ago. 

Muhlach said that it was Toyo who personally inquired about the award and decided to sell to the content creator one of the five Best Child Performer awards that he received in his career. 

“I decided to give it to him, pero big deal, kailangan alagaan niya and irestore niya and ilagay niya sa museum niya, dahil hindi ko na naalagaan, ‘yun ang deal namin [I decided to give it to him, but big deal because he needs to take care of it seriously, restore it and put it in his museum because I never take care of it. That’s our deal],” Muhlach said.

Boss Toyo said that Nino Muhlach’s FAMAS award is one of his dream items as he wants to note how Muhlach changed Filipino entertainment through his movies with noted Filipino actors such as the King of Filipino movies and legends such as Fernando Poe Jr. and Dolphy. 

“Ikaw ang barometer, ‘pag sinabing ‘child actor’, tandaan natin, wala pa akong nakitang nakadaig sayo as a child actor [You are the barometer of a ‘child actor’ because we have to remember nobody does it better than you],” Toyo said. 

Apart from the award, Muhlach gave to Boss Toyo some of the theater lobby cards from the movies he starred in and produced. 

Aside from acting, Muhlach also dabbled in several businesses, including the El Nino Apartments and Muhlach Ensaymada, which was gifted to Boss Toyo.

Continue Reading