Connect with us

NEWS

URCC 81: Decades of Success happens Dec. 6 in Okada

November 27, 2022 7:22 p.m.

THE Universal Reality Combat Championship will celebrate two decades of greatness titled the “Decades of Success” in a fight night on December 6, featuring the country’s best mixed martial artists at the Okada Manila in Parañaque City. 

Three years since the last time they held their last main event, URCC founding president Alvin Aguilar announced the coming URCC 81 will definitely be a night to remember with events like the 3 Versus 3, MMA fight and the bare-knuckle bouts.

“Our first main event in three years will definitely be an unforgettable night in mixed martial arts. We have a lot of good fighters and everyone is very excited,” Aguilar said. 

The last time URCC held a main event — Retribution— was in November 2019, at the same venue. Despite the pandemic, URCC didn’t stop as it held three fight nights when the government finally allowed contact sports. 

In celebrating URCC’s main event return, Aguilar will be having Team Philippines of Sugar Ray “Mammoth” Estroso, Caloy “Bad Boy” Baduria and Boss Bullet Manliclic taking up against South Koreans Jeong Minhun, Choi Wontae and Jeon Youngjun in an exciting 3 versus 3 event.

“We have to go up against other Asian countries before we start expanding. So we meet Korea then later on China again and then we will invite people from Russia and the USA. This is the fourth time we will be holding this 3 versus 3 fight,” Aguilar said, who also expects the other events to live up to the hype.

A URCC welterweight interim championship is also set between Filipino Arvin Chan and American Will Chope as the other highlight of the main event presented by Okada Manila and sponsored by Winzir.

URCC Global Chairman Arnold Vegafria said the promotions have been evolving since 2002, becoming a household name in the local mixed martial arts industry, where it discovered great MMA fighters and promoted quality fights abroad. 

For inquiries about tickets sale, go to www.urcc.online and download app https://apps.wix.com/place-invites/join-lp/b4e05b90-55a0-40a8-8fac-17ccf4a2c074?ref=pre_banner_top which is available for iOS and Google.

Other MMA undercard bouts feature Dunlee Stewart facing John Tirona in a 170 lbs bout, followed by Gester Maglaque meeting Mariano Jones in an 185 lbs bout; Kimbert Alintozon battling Junie Kimayong (125 lbs); Rhyle Lugo clashing against Alex Aballe (145 lbs) and Eros Baluyot taking on MJ Abrillo (125 lbs). 

For the thrilling bare-knuckle competitions, Damsa Abrenica collides with Joseph “King Pinoy” Cabral, while Dondon Serrano squares off with Sherwin Niro and Denzel Dimaguila fights Mark Jalaron.  

Details of the fight and future fight cards are available to download at https://apps.wix.com/place-invites/join-lp/b4e05b90-55a0-40a8-8fac-17ccf4a2c074?ref=pre_banner_top, which is available for iOS and Google.

NEWS

Pacquiao, Paradigm set for March trial in US

January 27, 2023 7:40 a.m.

Boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and a sports management firm he was previously associated with will be heading to a March trial in the United States, according to several reports Thursday.

Paradigm Sports Management, headed by founder and chief executive Audie Attar, sued the 44-year-old Pacquiao in June 2021 for alleged breach of contract after the latter opted to fight unified welterweight world champion Errol Spence Jr. instead of the former’s preferred fighter, Mikey Garcia.

But PSM’s request to prevent the Pacquiao-Spence fight from happening on August 21, 2021 failed as Judge Walter Schwarm junked the injunction filed by Attar’s group.

Manny Pacquiao, Audie Attar and Jayke Joson

The fight, however, still didn’t materialize due to an eye injury suffered by Spence, and Pacquiao instead ended up taking on replacement opponent Yordenis Ugas.

Pacquiao lost to Ugas via unanimous decision in their bout in Las Vegas — his last pro fight — yet the court case with Paradigm remained active.

expressed confidence that they will win the case against Pacquiao.

“Manny’s days of thumbing his nose at our contractual rights are almost at an end. We have an overwhelming case against him and look forward to justice being served,” PSM’ statement read.

“The court has already entered an order stating that — due to his consistent violation of court orders — Pacquiao is now deemed to have admitted that he breached his contract with Paradigm and that Paradigm has suffered more than $20 million in damages,” it added.

PSM also warned promoters, managers, fighters and broadcast networks not to interfere or enter into negotiations with Pacquiao with the lawsuit ongoing.

“Once Paradigm wins at trial in March, we will cut off 100% of Manny’s opportunities to earn money in the United States from any source because any revenue he generates will be attached to his judgment,” the company said.

“Additionally, Paradigm will pursue enforcement of its judgement in any foreign country where Manny seeks to fight.”

‘All the best to Manny’

Meanwhile, former longtime Pacquiao associate Jayke Joson is wishing the boxing legend “all the best” ahead of the March trial.

“As Manny Pacquiao’s longtime friend and ally before — and even now I always consider him as my brother — I really wish him all the best despite the hardships we’ve been through last year as we’re all just human beings,” Joson said.

Joson is also hoping Pacquiao will finally settle the lawsuit, which would allow the latter to fight again in the US.

“But with the trial now slated in March, I’m praying for my friend to be enlightened, make amends, reach out to Paradigm Sports Management, and hope to get the best result at the end of the day,” he continued.

“This is what we’ve been saying to him for a long time, that all we wanted is for his own good,” Joson said.

Pacquiao figured in an exhibition bout in December last year, dominating Korean YouTuber DK Yoo over six rounds in South Korea.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Rep. Atayde backs Banawe St. as QC Chinatown

Jan. 26, 2023 6:00 p.m.

ONE of the many initiatives by the Quezon City government supported by its first district Congressman Juan Carlos “Arjo” Atayde is the transformation of Banawe Street into a modern-day Quezon City Chinatown.

The 32-year-old freshman lawmaker expressed his all-out support to the City Ordinance No. 2453-2015, where QC Mayor Joy Belmonte declared Banawe St. as the city’s very own Chinatown or its tourism district.

Rep. Arjo Atayde

“My city, my mayor and my colleagues are for it — and I’m simply for it too, to firmly establish the Banawe area as Quezon City’s Chinatown because we believe in the next few months and years to come the entire district and our entire city will benefit with this great initiative,” Atayde said.

Atayde, a well-known young actor, added that throughout the decades, the Banawe community and the variety of businesses established by Filipinos in the area, have been emerging from time to time, giving Filipinos more job opportunities in the district.

The Chinese Horoscope for year 2023, he also said, stands for the year of the Rabbit or Water Rabbit that represents peaceful and patient energy, while the water element suggests tapping into inner wisdom and trusting instincts.

“Combined, the Water Rabbit indicates focusing on relationships, diplomacy, and building bridges,” Atayde also said during his speech at the Banawe Chinese New Year Celebration last week.

“The timing of the celebration and the declaration of Banawe area as Quezon City’s Chinatown is the product of relationships, diplomacy and building bridges.”

Atayde thanked Mayor Belmonte for making it happen — reviving the Banawe Chinese New Year’s Celebration — and the organizer’s of that last week’s activity for making him a part of it, where everybody witnessed the traditional Dragon Dance and fireworks, among others.

Dragon dance

“On behalf of my constituents, I would also like to thank the City Government led by our outstanding Mayor Joy Belmonte for making this happen — not only for Banawe but for the entire Quezon City,” he added.

Aside from Atayde and Mayor Belmonte, Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Huang Xilian Isang, QC Vice Mayor Gian Sotto, QC Association of Filipino-Chinese Businessmen President Joaquin Co and QC Chinatown Development Foundation Chairman Charles Chen were also supportive of the city’s initiative.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Enchanted Kingdom Installs WiFi Powered by Globe, for a Magical Guest Experience

January 25, 2023 3:21 p.m.

Enchanted Kingdom adds a dash of magic to the already enchanting experience of their guests by partnering with Globe Business in installing reliable high-speed WiFi services at key areas throughout the Philippines’ first and only world-class theme park.

With Globe Business Managed WiFi, guests can enjoy 30-minute complimentary access to the internet, while EKsperience the Magic Card Holders can stay connected all day long, giving them the freedom to explore the theme park while sharing their adventures online.

“In today’s digital era, the ability to capture and share one’s memories with their family and friends online is essential to the full enjoyment of any magical experience,” shares Cynthia R. Mamon, Chief Operating Officer, Enchanted Kingdom. “Through our partnership with Globe Business, we’re better equipped to provide families enchanting experiences and memories that last a lifetime.”

The Managed WiFi connection also improves digital processes and transactions across the park. By complementing the theme park’s existing IT Network, the solution helps ensure a faster, seamless, and worry-free experience for the guests—from front-gate ticketing and accessing Enchanted Kingdom’s online store,  to transacting in retail and food shops.

Enchanted Kingdom, recently awarded the People’s Choice Award for Destination/Attraction by the Department of Tourism, stays true to their vision of being one of the world-class attractions in Asia, and the Philippines’ top family leisure and entertainment destination. By partnering with Globe Business and embracing digital transformation, they provide an even more magical experience for Filipinos and their international patrons.

“We are glad to take part in Enchanted Kingdom’s journey to bring outstanding world-class experiences to their customers,” shares Chris Cheng, Globe Business Vice President for Connectivity & Digital Products. “Our Managed WiFi, a part of our Managed Services Portfolio, supports our client’s vision of exceptional customer experience by ensuring a reliable and secure connection to their patrons, helping them in their journey towards digitalization.”

With the theme park’s continuous support of community development, improving livelihood in Laguna, and pursuit of digital transformation, this partnership aligns with Globe’s commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, specifically UN SDG No. 9, which emphasizes the importance of innovation as a driver of economic growth and development.

Visit our Managed Network Services page or contact your Globe Business Account Manager to learn more about our solutions.

Continue Reading