Achieving a better you this New Year with these deals at Shopee’s Brands Spotlight Festival
January 17, 2022 9:05 p.m.
Ushering in a new year also means the chance to make a fresh start. We reflect on the habits we want to change, new behaviors we want to start adopting, and goals we want to achieve. More often than not, the resolutions we set on January 1 get abandoned in a couple of weeks because “life happens.”
While the journey of self-improvement can be daunting, it’s important to remember that taking small steps builds up to significant progress in our goals. For those of us who don’t know where to begin, consider these tips with product recommendations from your favorite brands on Shopee. From January 17 to 31, check out daily exclusive deals from these leading Shopee Mall brands, only at the Brands Spotlight Festival.
Taking care of ourselves is always the first step in achieving our goals. Build up your skincare routine with the new Olay Luminous Niacinamide + AHA Super Serum – its scientifically-advanced formula targets the root causes of stubborn spots, giving you smoother, clearer skin. Don’t forget to give your pearly whites the five-star treatment with the new Oral-B 3D White Luxe Diamond Perfection, which contains a whitening technology that leaves your teeth sparkling clean and protects against new stains. Finally, don’t miss out on a great deal for keeping healthy with the Limited-Edition Ensure Gold HMB Vanilla Bundle, which helps make sure you get the right vitamins and nutrients to power through your days.
Try Something New
If you’re looking to make changes in your life this year, why not start with a bold new hairstyle? Try L’Oreal Paris’ new Bleach Supreme and Ash Supreme, which comes in 7 long-lasting ash shades and lifts your hair up to 8 times lighter, giving you salon-quality results from the safety of your home. Make the most out of 2022 by upgrading your phone to Samsung’s newest Galaxy S21 FE 5G. With its fastest chipset yet, a pro-grade camera, and a 4500 mAh intelligent battery, it takes what you love most in a smartphone so you can live your passions to the fullest. If refining your personal style is one of your goals this year, look no further than the new Mikana Birthstone Pendant to add a unique and elegant touch to your outfits.
Foster Better Work-Life Balance
Working from home continues to be the norm for many of us as we keep ourselves and our loved ones safe. Making small improvements at home can help us thrive amid the blurred lines between our professional and personal lives. Start by refreshing your wardrobe INSPI’s new Oversized Shirt Collection, with colorful graphic tees that make you feel polished enough for your next team Zoom meeting, and comfortable enough for post-work lounging. On January 29, avid gamers can get more value for money with the vivo Y20s G with TWS Earbuds Bundle and enjoy a smooth, high-performing gaming experience as you wind down. Lastly, stock up on your household essentials safely and conveniently with Shopee! Enjoy greater savings on bundle deals and discounts on household products, such as UniLove Unscented Baby Wipes. Don’t forget to mark your calendars for January 23, when you can score a special offer on Surf’s Cherry Blossom Bundle only on Shopee.
Gear Up When You’re on the Go
For those who need to leave the house, it’s important to be equipped with the right gear that can help get you through the day efficiently. This OPPO A55 Smartphone with Enco W11 Bundle is the perfect deal for busy bees who are constantly on the go, with its fast-charging smartphone that comes with wireless earbuds that can last up to 20 hours. You can get both the smartphone and the earbuds at a discounted price on January 27. Be on the lookout for an exclusive deal from Unilever Beauty Store this January 24, with Pond’s Antibacterial Cleansing Kit that protects you from 99.9% maskne-causing bacteria.
Optimize Your Household Budget
Here’s a special tip for all supermoms: take advantage of the sulit brand offerings on Shopee when you provide for your children. Give your growing kids the tibay-nutrients they need with this BEAR BRAND Fortified Powdered Milk Drink Bundle, which also comes with a free pack of their chocolate-flavored milk powder to add variety to their daily milk intake. For new mommies, look no further than the Pampers Baby Dry Taped Sulit Box for the best deal on your newborn baby’s diaper supply. Made with light and breathable materials and stretchy tapes that hug your baby just right, these diapers help keep your little one comfortable and fuss-free. Grab this deal on January 31 and get bigger savings on your baby essentials!
Catch the Brands Spotlight Festival on Shopee
Brand Spotlight is the new destination for exclusive daily deals from Filipinos’ favorite brands. Starting January 17, you can look forward to unique brand offers, such as new product launches, bundle deals, and other exciting promos that are available only on Shopee. Learn more about Brand Spotlight and set your reminders on exclusive brand deals here: https://shopee.ph/m/brand-spotlight.
Enjoy even greater savings when you check out with ShopeePay to avail of daily free shipping and cashback vouchers. Start the year right by using Shopee’s all-in-one e-wallet, where you can also buy load, pay bills, send money, and scan to pay at thousands of merchants nationwide.
Save more and achieve your financial goals through ShopeePay’s discounts. Get up to 10% off on load across all networks and up to 25% cashback on your monthly bills from over 60 billers. If you need to stock up on groceries, get big savings when you avail of ₱1 Deals via “ShopeePay Near Me” and redeem your vouchers when you pay via ShopeePay at partner merchants.
Save on transfer fees with ShopeePay! Enjoy free and real-time cash ins & bank transfers via InstaPay; get up to ₱25 cashback on your InstaPay cash in fee. You can also send money for free to any ShopeePay user. To enjoy these exclusive deals and more, activate your ShopeePay now for a rewarding cashless experience.
Download the Shopee app for free via the App Store or Google Play.
Love the long weekend break? Cybercriminals do, too
April 4, 2023 5:11 p.m.
There are 18 official public holidays in the Philippines. As we all know, when these dates fall close to a weekend or if the government pursues holiday economics, most Filipinos make plans in advance to take advantage of extended holiday breaks. This year, we can get to do that at least 12 times.
Unfortunately, cybercriminals get excited about holidays, too. To refresh everyone’s memory, the $81-million Bangladesh Bank heist back in 2016 is an example of a successful cyber attack, which happened on the first day of Lunar New Year, a national holiday in the Philippines and the rest of Asia.
“Now that the world has reopened, travel is back with a vengeance this year, hence the term ‘travel revenge’. Whether Filipinos are scheduling holiday trips or just staycation-ing during the long weekends, it’s important to observe simple digital security practices so you can get to sit back and relax as you take your well-deserved vacation. Security-first thinking opens doors for a more enjoyable holiday break, especially for Filipinos who are amongst the world’s most active online users,” comments Chris Connell, Managing Director for Asia Pacific at Kaspersky.
Both individuals and companies are advised to be extra mindful of personal cybersecurity best practices and internet hygiene when on a holiday.
For companies, Kaspersky suggests to:
- Conduct drills
- Stress to vacationing employees why data encryption, two-factor authentication, strong passwords, and locking devices when not in use are important.
- Discuss the steps to take if their device ends up getting stolen.
- Advise staff about charging smartphones in a wall socket, not through USBs at airports and other public places (these can be used to steal data from a device and infect it with malicious software, such as spyware.
- Educate employees about the dangers of public WIFI (and even hotel WIFI unless it is encrypted and password-protected) and how to use a secure connection such as with a VPN.
- Log out
- Terminate unnecessary VPN connections to the corporate infrastructure.
- End unnecessary sessions that employees have left on any devices for an extended period of time. This also applies to corporate messengers, web apps and any other services.
- Check that the list of employees with access to the corporate network via VPN or RDP include only authorized users. Revoke access from those who don’t need it.
- Create special “emergency” admin accounts for potential incident response over the holidays. The rights granted to regular admin accounts can even be temporarily restricted so that attackers cannot exploit them.
- Install patches for all key applications. This process is far simpler if your company uses security solutions with a built-in patch management system.
Meanwhile, Kaspersky encourages individuals to:
- Only browse trusted apps and websites and be careful about personal information you input like credit card numbers or home address.
- Do not click on links or open email attachments from travel sites when receiving confirmations. Trusted companies include such letters in the bodies of their emails. Malware is often disguised as an attached confirmation letter.
- Bring two or three or more credit or debit cards to have a backup plan in case of loss or needing to cancel one.
- Never leave valuables unattended. Put large amounts of cash and mobile devices or laptops in the hotel safe.
- Use a credit card as most have built-in protections against fraud. There is no protection against a scammer if you send them cash or even check or debit card payment in some cases. A money transfer service is not advisable.
- Ensure their devices has security software installed, ideally with anti-theft technology.
Kaspersky blocks close to 1M financial phishing attacks eyeing SEA businesses last year
March 20, 2023 9:54 p.m.
Phishing is one of the most prevalent forms of cybercrime due to the minimal effort required and the fact that it really works.
It’s usually built around an inherently simple scheme: using carefully crafted emails or notifications that mimic messages from banks, government organizations, entertainment platforms—really any service—cybercriminals can trick users into following a link to a fraudulent website and giving up their payment or personal details or even downloading malicious programs.
Kaspersky in 2022 has blocked a total of 822,536 financial phishing targeted at companies in Southeast Asia (SEA). From SMBs to large enterprises, financial phishers kept trying to infect businesses in the
region last year.
In this case, “financial phishing” refers not only to banking specific phishing but also payment systems and e-shops. Payment system phishing includes pages impersonating well-known payment brands, such as PayPal, MasterCard, American Express, Visa and others. E-shops refer to online stores and auction sites like Amazon, the Apple Store, Steam, eBay etc.
Indonesia chalked up the highest number of financial phishing incidents (208,238). Vietnam comes second with 172,694, and Malaysia recorded 120,656. Thailand logged 101,461 phishing attempts related to finances, followed by the Philippines with 52,914, and Singapore with 22,109.
“It’s interesting to see companies being targeted by financial phishing but we have to remember here that businesses, at their core, are still made up of humans. Phishing is a type of social engineering attack. Social engineering attack is dubbed as hacking of the human mind. With nine out of ten employees needing basic cybersecurity skills training, cybercriminals know that the workforce remains a loophole they can exploit easily to launch a cyberattack against a company,” says Yeo Siang Tiong, General Manager for Southeast Asia at Kaspersky.
As reported, phishing email is usually the first chapter of 91% of all cyberattacks. A phishing simulation done by Kaspersky reinforced how cybercriminals trick employees into clicking malicious mails.
It showed that workers tend not to notice pitfalls hidden in emails devoted to corporate issues and online delivery problem notifications and almost one in five (16% to 18%) clicked the link in the email templates imitating these phishing attacks.
Among the other phishing emails that gained a significant number of clicks are; reservation confirmations from a booking service (11%), a notification about an order placement (11%), and an IKEA contest announcement (10%).
To prevent complex attacks, and any related financial and reputational losses caused by phishing attacks, Kaspersky recommends the following for businesses:
- Remind your employees about the basic signs of phishing emails. A dramatic subject line, mistakes and typos, inconsistent sender addresses and suspicious links;
- If there is any doubt about the received email, check the format of attachments before opening them and the link accuracy before clicking. This can be achieved by hovering over these elements – making sure the address looks authentic and the attached files are not in an executable format;
- Always report phishing attacks. If you spot a phishing attack, report it to your IT security department and, if possible, avoid opening the malicious email. This will allow your cybersecurity team to reconfigure anti-spam policies and prevent an incident;
- Supply your employees with basic cybersecurity knowledge. Education should be aimed at changing the behavior of learners and teaching them how to deal with threats. As a major cybersecurity vendor, Kaspersky possesses a relevant base of information on real attacks and continuously supplements its Security Awareness Trainings in accordance with the current threat landscape;
- Since phishing attempts can be confusing, and there’s no guarantee of avoiding all accident clicks, protect your working devices and your enterprise perimeters with a holistic expert security like Kaspersky Extended Detection and Response (XDR) platform. It provides anti-spam capabilities, tracks suspicious behavior, and creates a backup copy of your files in case of ransomware attacks. Anti-phishing protection is also included, as well as threat hunting.
Enterprises can find out more about this new platform at go.kaspersky.com/expert .
Kaspersky in Southeast Asia also has launched a Buy 1 Free 1 promo. Businesses can now enjoy two years of enterprise-grade endpoint protection for the price of 1 with Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Business or Cloud or Kaspersky Endpoint Detection and Response Optimum, with 24×7 phone support. Interested customers can reach out to email@example.com.
Let there be light: MR.DIY electrical tools Pinoy homeowners should have
March 11, 2023 7:37 p.m.
Being a homeowner entails being nifty at doing quick fixes. Things like leaky faucets, crooked cabinets, and regrouting tiles are just some of the common and simple home problems you can DIY. But you can also try your hand at finally overcoming your electrical-related problems at home like changing the wires or replacing switches and light bulbs.
Got the basics down but not the tools at hand? Ace your next home repairs and improvement with MR.DIY’s wide array of electrical products, including lighting, that are not only value for your money, but are only a stone’s throw away — at your nearest MR.DIY branch!
1. MR.DIY Battery Sensor Light and LED Emergency Lantern
Make it easier for you to find your way in the dark with MR. DIY Battery Sensor Light. Equipped with a motion sensor, the 6-LED light is perfect for small and out-of-the-way spaces where you don’t have access to a power outlet. With MR.DIY’s emergency lantern, you’ll always be prepared for anything! This durable, usb-powered light is also ideal for camping or outdoor use as well.
2. MR.DIY Premium 5W Daylight
Even as simple as changing a light bulb can positively impact your space and wellbeing! With the E27Daylight LED Bulb, there’s no need to worry about straining your eyes or having headaches because you have a wide light coverage just enough to fill your room.
3. Flashlights galore
MR.DIY has torches of all shapes and sizes! From handy aluminum led-light flashlights to solar-powered, and even USB-powered torches, to battery-powered, large-capacity flashlights, we have them all at your nearest MR.DIY branch!
4. Alkaline batteries of all sizes, for all needs
Give your battery-operated devices a boost with MR.DIY batteries. MR.DIY batteries are safe and long-lasting–especially designed for clocks, remote controls, electric shavers, toys, and electric toothbrushes among others.
With more than 18,000 items available, MR.DIY is the country’s favorite family and home improvement one-stop shop retailer — the place to be for your daily home fixes. These tools and other electrical items are now available at MR.DIY stores nationwide.
To learn more about MR.D.I.Y. and other exciting events, visit MR.DIY’s official website or follow /mrdiyPH on Facebook, and @mrdiy.philippines on Instagram and Tiktok for the featured promotions. Have a fast, safe, and efficient DIY shopping!
MR.DIY is the largest home improvement retailer with more than 2,000 stores across Southeast Asia including Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Philippines, Cambodia, India, and Europe in Turkey and Spain. The home improvement retailer has dedicated itself to making a positive difference in the lives of its valued customers by offering convenience at all its stores nationwide.
All MR.DIY stores are managed directly, and the company often works in collaboration with other mass merchandise retailers or owners of malls or shopfront properties. MR.DIY stores offer a wide selection of — approximately 18,000 SKUs — across 5 major categories, namely hardware; household and furnishing; electrical; stationery and sports equipment products; and others (comprising amongst other toys, car accessories, jewelry, and cosmetics).
The company strives to put customers first by operating an innovative business that is flexible when it comes to providing a wide variety of products, good quality, and value-for-money, holding true to the company’s motto of “ALWAYS LOW PRICES”.