February 17, 2022 7:57 p.m.
The Mobile Legends: Bang Bang Professional League – Philippines (MPL-PH) Season 9 is all set with the theme Lakas ng Pinas to showcase Filipino esports athletes’ strengths in the game. With fresh faces to join the teams and new rules to be implemented, there are a lot of moments not to be missed this season. Here are nine reasons to watch the games starting February 18th:
- Spotlight on veterans
- Seasoned contenders and SEA Games gold medalists Angelo Kyle “Pheww” Arcangel, Kenneth Jiane “Kenji” Villa, Jeniel “YellyHaze” Bata-Anon, and MSC 2021 champion Billy Jazha “Z4pnu” Alfonso have made their mark and took home championship titles under their wing. Being the only players who have been active since the start of the very first league, all eyes are on how they will call the shots to win.
- The next breakout rookie
- The ninth season will be packed with rookies in an attempt to take home the crown. Who will follow Jonard Cedrix “Demonkite” Caranto’s footsteps? Will some newcomers make a name for themselves on their debut season like Kiel Calvin “Oheb” Soriano or David Charles “Flap” Canon?
- The new power duo
- Throughout the eight seasons, many tandems have made impressive performances. But with iconic partners Johnmar “OhMyV33nus” Villaluna and Danerie “Wise” Del Rosario sitting out of the games, who will be the new power duo?
- Bren Esports’ possible resurgence
- Bren Esports may have struggled during the last season, but they still have the capability to return to their former glory given their outstanding achievements. But with Karl Gabriel “KarlTzy” Nepomuceno’s departure from the team, will they still make a huge impact? What strategy are they following this time?
- It’s the season with exciting comebacks
- New faces are filling in the shoes of some of the legacy players. Check out how Smart Omega’s Duane “Kelra” Pillas and Kiel VJ “Kielvj” Hernandez, and Bren Esports’ Karl “KarlTzy” Gabriel Nepomuceno and David Charles “FlapTzy” Canon will make a successful comeback this season.
- 6. New team rosters
- In a bid to take home the title, all teams decided to tweak their rosters except for ONIC PH. Among the changes are former TNC Pro’s Dylan “Light” Catipon joining RSG Philippines and Jeff Lenjesson “S4gitnu” Subang returning to Nexplay EVOS with other rookies. Which team created the right mix to win?
- 7. ECHOing loud and proud this time
- MPL legend Ashley Marco “Killuash” Cruz comes back in a bid to take home the national title. The pro player will be joined with with rising stars Frediemar “3MarTzy” Serafico, Karl “KarlTzy” Nepomuceno, and Tristan “Yawi” Cabrera. Will they make their fans proud with their gameplay?
- 8. A strong finish for ONIC PH
- ONIC-PH made it to the top at the M3 World Championships, but fell short of their biggest rival at the finals. This season, will the team make an epic comeback? What surprises can be expected from them considering they kept their core intact?
- 9. A possible three-peat for Blacklist International
- Blacklist International’s victory at the recent Sibol qualifiers event solidified the team’s legacy. However, with V33Wise’s absence, will they achieve a historic three-peat win this season? Or will they struggle to work on the team’s chemistry with new faces joining? What new kind of UBE strategy will they implement to cement their reputation?
The ninth season of the MPL-PH has a lot more than nine extraordinary moments and reasons to look forward to; from the league’s incredibly competitive format to the thrilling team strategies – who will clinch the S9 title?
Catch the games through MPL PH’s official website, Facebook, TikTok, and YouTube.
For more information, please refer to the online media kit here.
NBA hosts 1st Iconic Shots Challenge in PH
July 4, 2022 1:41 p.m.
The National Basketball Association (NBA) hosted the first “NBA Iconic Shots Challenge” on Saturday, June 25 and Sunday, June 26 at the Mega Fashion Hall activity center, SM Megamall in Mandaluyong City, Philippines.
The NBA Iconic Shots Challenge is an immersive basketball experience for fans to attempt select signature shots from the league’s landmark 75th Anniversary Season, which concluded with the Golden State Warriors winning their fourth NBA championship in eight years and seventh championship overall.
Simulating an authentic NBA arena atmosphere, the challenge took place on a half-court in front of a virtual audience displayed on a curved LED panel.
Each player had 60 seconds to score from five different spots on the court, ranging from four feet to 24 feet, and complete the shooting challenge in the following order: layup, floater, midrange jump shot and three-pointers from the wing and the top of the arc.
Each made basket had a corresponding prize from a selection of premium partner items, NBA Store gift vouchers and official NBA merchandise.
The on-ground activation will also feature a pop-up NBA Store and interactive booths from partners.
The NBA Iconic Shots Challenge is supported by official partners AXA Philippines, Energen Champion and Gatorade and official media partners Cignal, Globe, Smart, and PLDT. Official NBA merchandise are available through the NBA Store and NBAStore.com.ph, the official online NBA Store in the Philippines.
MILO, DepEd celebrate kids’ success thru 1st-ever Palarong Pambahay virtual sports competition
Beloved nutritious beverage brand MILO® Philippines and the Department of Education (DepEd) celebrated the recent success of its inaugural MILO-DepEd Palarong Pambahay.
The joint effort was the first-of-its-kind inter-sport, inter-school virtual competition held on a nationwide scale.
The 2-day live broadcast saw more than 700 participating schools and featured over 2,000 aspiring student athletes who showcased their skills and competed with pride for themselves and their school in front of 1.5 million-plus online viewers.
“It is our great pleasure to partner with MILO® Philippines for the first-ever MILO-DepEd Palarong Pambahay competition. Even though the pandemic has hindered most of our on-ground activities, our organization, as well as coaches, teachers, and parents, have worked tremendously hard to make this event a reality. This is quite a milestone and integral proof that nothing can stop the Filipino champion spirit and our winning culture of Bayanihan,” said DepEd Undersecretary Tonisito M.C. Umali, Esq.
This groundbreaking online sports event opened doors for young athletes who showed their determination as they trained and competed from their homes, as well as their parent coaches who helped guide them along the way to overcome the many challenges of staying indoors.
“Nakita natin ang pagpupursige ng mga atleta at mga magulang na sumali sa Palarong Pambahay, dahil hindi nila hinayaang maging hadlang ang pandemya,” said Carlo Sampan, MILO® Sports Executive.
MILO-DepEd Palarong Pambahay is just the latest of many creative and innovative programs now available from MILO® Philippines designed to provide kids with an outlet to stay physically active and teach them the important values learned from sports such as discipline, respect, and determination.
“Taekwondo helps me build my self-confidence so that I can attain success through hard-work and determination,” said Justin Apura who hails from the University of San Agustin, Iloilo. Apura won gold in Taekwondo and has been competing in local and international competitions since he was 6 years old.
Jennie Villanueva, whose son Marvi Marcelo competed in Athletics, also shared: “Andun yung pag-strive niya na gawin niya yung best niya sa isang bagay para kahit hindi siya manalo, alam niyang nagawa niya yung best niya.”
Faced with a new reality and challenges, MILO® Philippines and DepEd has proven to parents across the country that there are opportunities to adapt and continue their child’s Champion journey at home.
As schools and sports venues start to open up again, MILO® Philippines is excited to welcome back kids to continue to their Champion journeys in the upcoming MILO® Summer Sports Clinics. For more details on how to join, please visit the official MILO® Philippines website.
Niantic, NBA, NBPA team up for NBA All-World
June 29, 2022 7:31 p.m.
NEW YORK — Niantic announced a partnership with the National Basketball Association and the National Basketball Players Association to create an original augmented reality mobile game: NBA All-World.
NBA All-World is a first-of-its-kind game that will place NBA fans into the real-world metaverse.
NBA All-World is a free-to-play officially licensed geolocation basketball game where players can find, challenge, and compete against today’s NBA ballers in their neighborhoods, then recruit them to their team before proving themselves on the court.
“NBA All-World represents an industry first in sports games, as an original, real-world AR game that will appeal to casual and core NBA fans alike,” said Marcus Matthews, Senior Producer at Niantic.
“We’re creating and designing a game that empowers players to represent where they’re from and showcase the culture of their neighborhood.”
“Through our partnership with Niantic, NBA All-World will provide fans across the globe the opportunity to fully immerse themselves into the energy and excitement of the NBA,” said Matt Holt, Head of Consumer Products at the NBA.
“Evident in the name of the game itself, we look forward to engaging with our fans around the world through this captivating experience.”
“NBA-All World gives us the opportunity to bring NBA players into Niantic’s real-world metaverse, opening up paths for fans to interact with them in a new way,” said Josh Goodstadt, EVP of Licensing for THINK450, the innovation engine of the NBPA.
“Niantic has proven experience building games that encourage engagement in local communities, and having our players integrated into NBA All-World adds to that immersion.”
Additionally, NBA All-World will embrace the fashion of the NBA, with users having the ability to outfit players in the game with custom apparel.
Players can sign-up to be notified when NBA All-World is available in their country by visiting NBAAll-World.com.
Those who sign up will be able to experience an exclusive All-World AR web experience and be the first to be notified about securing their codename for global launch.